The Nigeria Boxing Board of Control (NBBofC) has disclosed that late boxer Segun “Success” Olanrewaju did not receive approval for the fight that led to his death in Accra, Ghana.
Olanrewaju, 40, a former National and West African light-heavyweight champion, lost consciousness during his bout against Ghanaian boxer Jon Mbanugu at Fight Night 15 of the Ghana Professional Boxing League, held at the Bukom Boxing Arena on Saturday.
MP3 DOWNLOAD SONG
Reports indicate that Olanrewaju was initially scheduled to fight on Friday but was disqualified after being found overweight.
However, he later agreed to a Saturday fight, allegedly without the necessary approval from the NBBofC.
Eyewitnesses at the arena said Olanrewaju was leading on points when he collapsed unexpectedly.
After exchanging weak punches with Mbanugu, who is known as “Jon Power” and holds a record of 12 wins, one loss, and one draw, Olanrewaju was hit with a right-hand punch.
Moments later, he staggered backward, fell against the ropes, and slumped.
As the referee began the mandatory count, the Nigerian fighter turned face down with his throat resting on the ropes.
His team rushed into the ring, attempting to resuscitate him before he was rushed to Korle Bu Teaching Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Speaking to Newsmen, NBBofC Secretary-General Remi Aboderin clarified that Olanrewaju had been cleared to fight on Friday, but after his disqualification, he sought another opportunity to fight the next day to earn money.
“Segun got our approval for a fight on Friday, but during the weigh-in on Thursday, he was found overweight.
His opponent was not in his weight class, so the fight was canceled.
They offered to increase his purse by $500, but he declined the offer, and no agreement was reached,” Aboderin explained.
He further revealed that Olanrewaju initially left Accra for Lagos on Saturday morning but changed his mind at the Aflao border.
“He told his coach, Diran Alamu, that returning home without money would be difficult”.
He had debts to pay, so he called the Ghanaians to ask if another fight was available”.
“They informed him that a match was possible on Saturday night, but we did not give him approval for it. This is where the Ghana Boxing Association made an error,” Aboderin stated.
Olanrewaju’s trainer, Babatunde Ojo, expressed regret over the tragic incident, saying he had advised the late boxer against taking the fight on such short notice.
“He told me about the fight last week, and I warned him that it was too soon. He wasn’t training properly, and I told him to wait for a better offer,” Ojo said.
“He initially mentioned the fight would be on April 1, but later said it was moved to March 29. I told him it was too soon and suggested we travel together if they booked our flights. But they offered to arrange a car for him instead, which I refused. He knew I didn’t want him to go,” Ojo added.
Ojo revealed that Olanrewaju later told him he had obtained a release letter for the fight but did not inform him about his final decision to travel.
“He knew I wouldn’t allow him to go, so he left without telling me. Now, we are dealing with this painful loss. This is why I always warn my boxers against taking fights on short notice. You need at least one month to prepare. May his soul rest in peace,” Ojo concluded.
Be the first to comment